Thursday, October 27, 2011

What's up with this name?

So, as I am sitting in my recliner yesterday after I got of work, my husband comes in an says jokingly "so you started a blog and didn't even tell me." I laughed and told him I was bored and decided I needed to do something productive with my time. His response "Oh...I thought maybe you had gotten some spiritual enlightenment and decided to write about it." My sweet husband... then he goes "Well what's with the name?"

I'm so glad you asked!

There are a few reasons this blog got named "The Light is Still On"
Reason # 1: Our last name is WATTS, you know like the light bulb, but plural. I thought it was a funny play on words. Maybe I'm a dork...or a genius, I'll choose the latter :)

Reason # 2: Many years ago I came across this book

It caught my eye because of it's name. I thought it was funny and decided to pick it up. Now I'm not usually about self help books, because well...we can't help ourselves, that's why we have Jesus and God, to help us. (But I'll get to that in a minute). But this book is funny, and really puts some things into perspective. Here is an excerpt from it

"Can we really experience a happy, even fabulous life no matter what the world throws our way? The answer, my friend, is yes. And together we're going to figure out how.

" Who turned out the lights?
So what's stopping us? Why aren't you and I happy, peaceful, and vibrant with hope every single day of our lives? Oh yeah. I remember why.
Stuff. All the stuff that happens all around us all the time: relationship stuff, career stuff, money stuff, making a home, making a living, and make do with unmet needs in any category; broken dreams, big boo-boos, little letdowns; memories that hurt, shoes that pinch, bosses that pinch. The pinscher next door that ate your cat.
   Or maybe it's swimsuits that shrink two sizes over the winter, shrinking eyebrows, that ring around your toilet bowl, that ringing in your ears, and the wedding ring on the finger of the cute guy you just met in the peanut butter aisle of your local Piggly Wiggly. It cold be that bad news phone call, the creep who broke your daughter's heard, the promotion that went to the assistant you hired on the same day your fortune cookie said, "It doesn't look good. Maybe you should have stayed in bed."

Doesn't this sound like some of our days? Any way...this book helped me name the blog because well, the light isn't turned off..in fact it is as bright as ever which brings me to my next point.

Reason # 3: Ephesians 5:8
For at one time you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light.

Jesus is referred to the "light" many times in the bible. I love this verse, it so muchly describes my life. At one time I was in darkness, alone, and afraid. It was where I had to be to realize what amazing things I had. When I found Jesus again, I became whole again, I became the LIGHT again. This scripture tells us to walk as a child of God. When I am in His right alignment my light can be seen by everyone. I don't have to thump a bible in their face, or prove I know the most scriptures! The living God lives as a LIGHT inside of ME! So as the song says, "This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine".

So there you go, since you were wondering where this name came from, there it is.

1 comment:

  1. I love interesting blog names because they usually come with a story...and your's is no exception. :)

    ReplyDelete